Friday, November 14, 2008

Iron Man

I missed this one in the theater, so we put it in our Blockbuster-by-Mail queue. Perhaps waiting to see it was a mistake, however, because I was a little disappointed. It was a fun summer movie, but it wasn't amazing. The special effects were fine, but those things just don't impress me like they used to. And I saw all the good parts on the commercials anyway. In fact, all but two or three of the good lines of dialogue were in the trailers. I will gladly admit one thing, however -- casting Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark was the best casting decision since Johnny Depp was picked for Pirates of the Caribbean. He was absolutely perfect for the part. I thought Gwenyth Paltrow was an odd choice for Pepper Potts, but not too bad. Jeff Bridges was a fine villain, although I scarcely recognized him with the beard and the shaved head. Perhaps I would have enjoyed the movie a little more if I could have ignored Newton's Three Laws and the basic principles of thermodynamics, but I thought a lot of the action was fairly unbelievable. Still, it was a fun flick, and I would gladly see the inevitable sequel.
∗∗1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment