Monday, February 23, 2009

Made of Honor

The basic plot of this movie is pretty clear from the trailers: Tom (Patrick Dempsey) never commits in any relationship because his best friend, Hannah, is always there for him. She goes to Scotland for several weeks and he realizes he's been in love with her all along. But Hannah comes back with a handsome fiance and a wedding date in two weeks. Since they are such good friends, she asks him to be her "maid of honor" and he goes along with it so he can try to win her back, with plenty of jokes and awkward situations to go around.

I didn't expect Oscar material when we rented this flick, but Made of Honor is even more formulaic and painful than I anticipated. Halfway through the movie I was utterly disgusted, so by the time Tom comes flying through the chapel doors on horseback at the end of the movie I was beyond caring. Romantic comedies aren't my favorite genre, but this one gives all the rest a bad name.

No comments:

Post a Comment