Thursday, October 01, 2009

Seirei no Moribito (Guardian of the Sacred Spirit)


We started watching Seirei no Moribito on the recommendation from my cousin. I'm not a big anime person, but this series is simply a good story. Seirei no Moribito is an epic fantasy that takes place in a far-away land. The main character, Balsa, is a female body-guard who is entrusted to protect a prince. The animation is excellent, but it never takes precedent over the storytelling. Even the impressive action sequences are important to the plot and not just for show. The series is full of vivid, interesting characters that develop through the story line. Chief among these, however, is Balsa, the coolest female character I have seen in a long time.

This animated series is based on a the first book in the Moribito series, by Nahoko Uehashi. The anime version expands on the story somewhat, and I actually liked it a little better than the book, but they were both good. And since the book is just the first of ten novels, I need to read the other ones to properly judge them. I would recommend Seirei no Moribito to anyone, even if (like me) you don't speak Japanese and you don't really watch anime. The DVD's are really expensive, but it's also available online if you know where to look.
∗∗∗1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment